Penge Festival Poetry Competition
Closing date: Friday May 15, 2015
First: £100 plus a book of Walter de la Mare’s poetry.
Second: £50 plus a book of Walter de la Mare’s poetry.
Third: £25 plus a book of Walter de la Mare’s poetry.
Entry rules and submission procedure
1. No poem may be more than twenty lines in length. Any subject or style may be chosen.
2. The author’s name must NOT appear on the manuscript of the poems.
3. The author’s name, home address, phone number and/or email address must be
written clearly on a sheet of paper and placed inside a sealed envelope bearing the
titles of the poem(s). There is no age restriction.
4. This envelope must be stapled or clipped to the manuscripts of the three poems.
5. The entry fee for the competition is £3.00. Up to three poems may be entered for this fee. A cheque or postal order should be made payable to ‘Penge Festival’ and
enclosed with the submissions. To ensure complete anonymity, the entry fee will be
intercepted by someone other than the judges.
6. Poems must not have been previously published and be the original work of the
entrant. We are not looking for poems in the style of Walter de la Mare.
7. Entrants must be resident in the London Borough of Bromley.
8. Three judges will compile a short-list of fifteen poems and then select three winners.
9. The judges are Vanessa Williamson, Manager of Beckenham Library; Monica Utting, BA (Lit), M.A., former Head of English; Chris O’Shaughnessy, M.A., former Head of English and published author of verse drama.
10.The winners will be presented with their prizes by Giles de la Mare after the talk/recital ‘Walter de la Mare: Penge’s Best-Kept Secret?’ on Friday June 19 at the Bridge House Theatre. Each winner may be accompanied by one guest.
11.Penge Partners reserves the right to publish the short-list and the winning poems online or in hard copy without further payment of a fee. Copyright remains with the author.
12.Entries should be sent to Penge Festival Poetry Competition, c/o Apartment 19,
Burmarsh Court, Manston Close, Penge SE20 7SQ by Friday May 15. Failure to
obey the rules will result in disqualification. Good luck and inspired writing!
Sponsors: the Walter de la Mare Society and Penge Masala.
Penge Partners for the Penge Festival